Re: [patch] mm: tiny-shmem fix lor, mmap_sem vs i_mutex

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 11:14:47 EST

On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 17:12 +0100, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> It's not immediately obvious why two such similar functions needed
> two such dissimilar patches; and we'd all (Nick, Matt and I) prefer
> to restore the similarity, especially now the tiny-shmem.c variant
> has shown a locking problem. Do you see any reason against that?

The only reason I diverged them was that I was trying to encourage the
use of alloc_file() and discourage the use of init_file() due to some
guidance from Christoph H.

But, you're certainly right, being able to find bugs between the two
implementations certainly trumps that, so I see no reason not to reunify
them.

-- Dave