Re: [Bug #11382] e1000e: 2.6.27-rc1 corrupts EEPROM/NVM

From: David Miller
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 17:05:49 EST

From: Jiri Kosina <jkosina@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:29:16 +0200 (CEST)

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, David Miller wrote:
>
> > So I went through the changes from 2.6.27-rc5 until the SHA1
> > ID ec0c15afb41fd9ad45b53468b60db50170e22346 and there were
> > definitely no E1000 or E1000E changes during that time.
>
> Some recent comments on [1] seem to indicate that this is somehow coupled
> into prior problems/panics with Intel graphics.

My current suspicion in all of this is either the GEM kernel patches
or recent X server.

However, the eeprom/nvram programming sequence seems non-trivial on
the e1000e. You have to execute a set of precise register writes
and register polls to successfully write things out to the nvram.

This makes something like a random scribble out to MMIO space less
likely to cause this problem.

Is there some linear mapping of the nvram that could be written to
on these cards?