Re: PTE access rules & abstraction

From: Martin Schwidefsky
Date: Wed Sep 24 2008 - 18:21:44 EST

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 19:45 +0100, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > I know s390 has different issues & constraints. Martin told me during
> > Plumbers that mprotect was probably also broken for him.
>
> Then I hope he will probably send Linus the fix.
>
> Though what we already have falls somewhat short of perfection,
> I've much more enthusiasm for fixing its bugs, than for any fancy
> redesign introducing its own bugs. Others have more stamina!

As far as I can tell the current code should work. It is not pretty
though, in particular the nasty pairing of flush_tlb_mm() with
ptep_set_wrprotect() and flush_tlb_range() with change_protection() is
fragile. For me the question is if we can find a sensible set of basic
primitives that work for all architectures in a performant way. This is
really hard..

--
blue skies,
Martin.