Re: v2.6.27-rc7: x86: #GP on panic?

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Thu Sep 25 2008 - 17:03:09 EST

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:49 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Seems like an external interrupt happened and was delivered after the sti?
>>
>> Hm. I guess it smells like a qemu bug since it's rather easily
>> reproducible here and sounds strange that nobody else saw it. Is qemu
>> 0.9.1.
>>

> Yes, but there shouldn't be any external interrupts that could turn into a
> divide error. It really smells like a Qemu problem -- possibly even a Qemu
> miscompile -- to me.
>
> Does it reproduce in KVM?

I have no computer that can do KVM, sorry :-(

Stack trace contains IO_APIC functions, so it seems that maybe the
emulated IOAPIC is trying to (erroneously) deliver an int 0 (for some
reason)? But I don't know, that's just speculation which can be done
better by others, so I will stop now :-)

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it