Re: [patch 00/04] RFC: Staging tree (drivers/staging)

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 16:12:04 EST

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Stefan Richter
<stefanr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It _is_ necessary. I for one don't want to have to remember that driver
> foobar was in "staging" state in kernel 2.6.31-rc5, but not anymore in
> 2.6.32-rc1.

Just name the staging modules with _stg prefix like I said - easier to
spot _stg in the module list than decoding the taint. Whenever
(doubtful tone here) it graduates, remove the suffix. Driver modules
load automatically any way so the name change is not going to make a
difference.

It is nice to not have to change core kernel code and annoy users with
warnings for the staging crap even if it is just 24 lines or whatever
- if we can - and I don't see why we cannot. Staging, just like
crapping, has to be a totally isolated, zero side effect, zero
annoyance (to others) type thing :) So let's please get rid of that
taint and warning already :)

Parag