Re: e1000e NVM corruption issue status

From: Brandeburg, Jesse
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 20:05:44 EST

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Tim Gardner wrote:
> > Ok here's an updated one. Jesse (Br) can you add it to your list? If the X
> > driver really is mapping too much this should catch it, as long as it goes
> > through sysfs.

I have, am testing with it now.

> I've been experimenting with unmapping flash space until its actually
> needed, e.g., in the functions that use the E1000_READ_FLASH and
> E1000_WRITE_FLASH macros. Along the way I looked at how flash write

That sounds like a good patch set. I had thought of trying that but
hadn't gotten to it yet, so if you have something to look at in diff
format just post it and we'll take a look.

> cycles are initiated because I was having a hard time believing that
> having flash space mapped was part of the root cause. However, it looks
> like its pretty simple to initiate a write or erase cycle. All of the
> required action bits in ICH_FLASH_HSFSTS and ICH_FLASH_HSFCTL must be 1,
> and these 2 register are in the correct order if X was writing 0xff in
> ascending order.

Seems simple but when I tried it for a couple of hours yesterday I
couldn't get anything to happen to my flash. This included putting
ew16flash writes in the e1000e driver, and writing those magic bits.