Re: [patch] ioremap sanity check to catch mapping requests exceedingthe BAR sizes

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Sep 27 2008 - 15:24:19 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 07:43:55 -0700
Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alan Cox wrote:
Any attempt to use ioremap on memory is a bug, so you should warn about
that too.
We use it to ioremap things like the BIOS...
Yeah, that's fine. I mean using ioremap on system memory is a bug.

On system memory mapped by the kernel which I assume is what you mean -
the BIOS is often shadowed system memory and we have platforms where
memory pages not mapped into or managed the OS are ioremap() targets.

That however is getting pedantic - I just didn't want anyone to overdo
the sanity checks

the existing sanity check checks to see if the kernel thinks if the memory is usable
for its own use, eg it uses the e820 table, the same one we use for feeding all memory
into the page allocator.

reserved and other similar types is not what ioremap complains about