Re: 2.6.27-rc7-sha1: EIP at proc_sys_compare+0x36/0x50

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Sep 28 2008 - 16:38:40 EST

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> We hold the directory mutex in real_lookup
> before calling i_op->lookup.

Irrelevant.

The d_compare function si called _before_ we get the directory mutex. It's
done purely under dentry->dlock (and the RCU read lock).

So we have absolutely no directory-level locking here.

> So lookups should be serialized.

lookups are serialized before calling into the filesystem with ->lookup,
but _not_ at the d_compare level. If we serialized d_compare, the dentry
cache would be no use at all, we'd serialize all lookups, cached or not.

(Of course, sane filesystems will not have d_compare at all, just the
memcmp, but we're talking /proc here - although I forget why it wants to
do that insane d_compare thing)

So forget the directory mutex. d_compare is much more low-level than that.
It can hit a dentry that is being unhashed at the same time for whatever
reason (memory pressure, whatever).

The fact is, the "->lookup()" function is meant to be easy for filesystems
to use, but d_compare i really low-level dentry magic and is meant to look
at just the *name*. It's meant to be a replacement for memcpy() for things
like case-independent comparisons or strange utf-8 rules (ie "equivalent"
characters). It has no real locking, since the names are supposed to be
"stable" anyway (the dentry->d_lock should guarantee that the dentry isn't
being renamed etc).

I may be missing something, of course, but the dentry eas actually found
_before_ takign even the dentry->d_lock, so the dentry we call compare on
may not even be *valid* any more, because something might have unhashed it
_after_ we found it, but _before_ we got d_lock.

d_compare() really is pretty special (d_revalidate is too, for that
matter, although at least _slightly_ less so: by that time we have at
least tested that the UNHASHED bit isn't set because we raced with
removal etc).

Linus