Re: [ath5k-devel] Release of Atheros 802.11abg HAL under the ISC

From: Derek Smithies
Date: Sun Sep 28 2008 - 16:50:01 EST

Luis,
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

As part of our commitment to help support all of our Atheros devices
under Linux we'd like to announce the release of our Atheros HAL for
our 802.11abg chipsets under the ISC license.

You can find it here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/legacy-hal.tar.bz2

This can be used as a source of documentation to help ath5k move
forward to support our 802.11abg chipsets as best as possible in
the Linux kernel. We look forward to keep working strongly with the
community on advancing support of all our Atheros chipsets under Linux.

Luis

A huge vote of thanks and congratulations are due to Atheros for taking the step of releasing the HAL. There will be many in the open source community celebrating this move.

Much Kudos is due to Atheros for taking this step.

The ath5k community is going to benefit hugely from being able to optimise the driver based on a more accurate knowledge of the workings of the HAL.

Patches like
https://lists.ath5k.org/pipermail/ath5k-devel/2008-September/001311.html
will improve the reliability, and are only possible because of the release
of the HAL.

Thanks are due to Luis also, for taking his part in getting the HAL released.

Perhaps we can all now work together on getting a stable driver for Atheros cards under Linux. - Ath5k or Ath9k (don't care which).

Derek.
--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.