Re: Use CPUID to communicate with the hypervisor.

From: Tim Deegan
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 05:29:20 EST

At 22:01 -0700 on 27 Sep (1222552861), Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Alok Kataria wrote:
>>> I think there's a move towards doing a scan for a signature, such as
>>> checking every 16 leaves after 0x40000000 for "a while" looking for
>>> interesting signatures, so that a hypervisor can support multiple ABIs
>>> at once. Given this, it would be better to define a "Generic Hypervisor
>>> ABI" signature, and put all the related leaves together.
>>
>> Hmm interesting, do you have any pointers to this ?
>
> No. I think I saw a passing reference from Tim Deegan to it, but I
> couldn't find it again when I looked.

I was talking about checking every 256 leaves from 0x40000000, but I
can't remember where I heard it. The only relevant reference I can
find is the MS hypervisor interface spec's description of leaf
0x40000001: "Hypervisor vendor-neutral interface identification. This
determines the semantics of the leaves from 0x40000002 through
0x400000FF"

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Citrix Systems (R&D) Ltd.