RE: Linux 2.6.27-rc8

From: Brandeburg, Jesse
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 22:30:25 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> What's the magic to trigger it? I've got a laptop with that e1000e
> chip in it, and am obviously running a recent kernel on it. Do people
> have a handle on it? Is it actually verified to be kernel-related,
> and not related to the X server etc?

my current status mail was posted earlier today to lkml from this
address, since then we've had a local reproduction and are going for
number two. The reproduction seems racy, i.e. it doesn't happen every
time, so we put it in a loop doing detect, check eeprom, detect, etc,
and we'll see if it fails.

Reproduction seems to consistently be around X probing time, no firm
leads yet. As for Intel we have keithp and jbarnes as well as arjan,
auke, myself and a few others involved.

We have some patches to lock the nvm down, we'll be posting those
tonight and tomorrow, I also have some debug logic (and fixes) to help
prove that we don't think it's a race in e1000e.
--
Jesse