Re: Linux 2.6.27-rc8

From: Brandeburg, Jesse
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 23:42:54 EST

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Btw, the _real_ bug is clearly in the hardware design that allows you to
> brick those things without apparently even having a lock bit.

The hardware has a lock bit, and we're trying to figure out why the BIOS
writers guide doesn't say to set it. Probably because of the MAC address,
but who knows.

> I'm hoping Intel doesn't treat this as just a software bug. Some hw
> designer should be thinking hard about which orifice they put their head
> up in.

We will post a patch to e1000e tomorrow that sets a lock bit that prevents
the registers memory mapped by 0:19.0 BAR1 from causing flash write
cycles.

The patches I've just posted don't quite do that yet.