Re: Use CPUID to communicate with the hypervisor.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 23:52:47 EST

Nakajima, Jun wrote:

OK, if so we should write up a formal proposal.

I assume that the scope is limited to virtualization of Linux.

That's part of the problem -- it's not, and it can't be. It's about the hypervisor providing a specific service to its guest, and although we can explain how Linux would use this, there is going to be an expectation -- especially for Microsoft and Apple -- that other OSes would use the same interfaces (to the extent they care, obviously.)

-hpa