Re: [patch 2/2] PNP: don't check disabled PCI BARs for conflicts inquirk_system_pci_resources()

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Sep 30 2008 - 13:22:30 EST

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> A clearer (and more flexible) solution might be this patch. It's more
> explicit about the fact that it simply makes it clear that any drivers
> that are added by the architecture Makefile will be _first_ in the list of
> drivers.

It looks like both of these will fall afoul of the fact that ACPI
currently seems to _expect_ to be called in the old order, ie I get some
oops in acpi_irq_penalty_init() apparently because it knew that it got
called later (thanks to being called from pci_acpi_init in the
arch-specific directory), and knew that the other ACPI subsys setup
routines had been done before.

Dang.

I guess we'll have to bite the bullet some day and actually create some
explicit topological ordering of initcalls rather than depend on the
initcall levels and link order. That is one particular complexity I've
tried to avoid. But the subtlety of the current ordering is certainly not
at all good either.

Linus