Re: Notes from LPC PCI/MSI BoF session

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Wed Oct 01 2008 - 11:01:21 EST

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:29:18PM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> PCI address space management
> ----------------------------
> TJ has a bunch of code to improve address space management in Linux. We
> talked for a few minutes about this at the BoF; at this point I'm just
> waiting for TJ to post his stuff so we can start integrating it. Hopefully
> we can start merging small pieces of it (like the multiple PCI gap stuff) for
> 2.6.28, and get some more eyes on the more aggressive PCI-DMAR stuff he's
> been talking about soon.
>
> Well that's all I have in the way of notes. Feel free to add your own if I
> missed anything or correct me if I mischaracterized things.

One thing that wasn't resolved at the meeting was the question of 64-bit
addressing and PCI-PCI bridges (primarily because nobody had their
PCI-SIG login with them). I've now downloaded the latest PCI-PCI Bridge
spec and there are still no facilities to forward addresses >4GB (other
than the prefetchable region that was already in PPB 1.1).

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."