Re: [RFC] CPUID usage for interaction between Hypervisors and Linux.

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Wed Oct 01 2008 - 14:06:41 EST

Alok Kataria wrote:
Its not a user who has to do anything special here.
There are *intelligent* VM developers out there who can export a
different CPUid interface depending on the guest OS type. And this is
what most of the hypervisors do (not necessarily for CPUID, but for
other things right now).

No, that's always a terrible idea. Sure, its necessary to deal with some backward-compatibility issues, but we should even consider a new interface which assumes this kind of thing. We want properly enumerable interfaces.