Re: [RFC] CPUID usage for interaction between Hypervisors and Linux.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Oct 01 2008 - 14:11:29 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

No, we're not getting anywhere. This is an outright broken idea. The space is too small to be able to chop up in this way, and the number of vendors too large to be able to do it without having a central oversight.

I suspect we can get a larger number space if we ask Intel & AMD. In fact, I think we should request that the entire 0x40xxxxxx numberspace is assigned to virtualization *anyway*.

-hpa