Re: [RFC] CPUID usage for interaction between Hypervisors and Linux.

From: Anthony Liguori
Date: Wed Oct 01 2008 - 17:31:14 EST

Alok Kataria wrote:
Your explanation below answers the question you raised, the problem
being we need to have support for each of these different hypercall
mechanisms in the kernel. I understand that this was the correct thing to do at that moment. But do we want to go the same way again for CPUID when we can make it
generic (flat enough) for anybody to use it in the same manner and
expose a generic interface to the kernel.

But what sort of information can be stored in cpuid that's actually useful? Right now we just it in KVM for feature bits. Most of the stuff that's interesting is stored in shared memory because a guest can read that without taking a vmexit or via a hypercall.

We can all agree upon a common mechanism for doing something but if no one is using that mechanism to do anything significant, what purpose does it serve?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori