Re: Agere Hermes source-code: copyright situation

From: Dan Williams
Date: Thu Oct 02 2008 - 16:33:06 EST

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 13:00 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:37:18AM +0400, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > TJ you can answer me using arvidjaar (at) newmail dot ru. Hopefully
> > one of them works. Re WPA2 - there is no information how to setup
> > CCMP/AES (even if firmware supports it); so no WPA2.

> > I do not mind but it is likely makes no sense for H-I now; and
> > I do not own H-II myself so cannot work on it. If we are focusing on
> > H-2/2.5, it would make more sense to make similar modifications to
> > 7.22 driver set from Agere to avoid overlap with Orinoco.
>
> Ok, let me know what you think is the best thing to do, and I'll be glad
> to help you out with it.

I tend to think that only for USB hardware do we need a new driver, and
that driver can share some things with both hostap and orinoco. If at
all possible, lets integrate missing hardware support into _existing_
drivers instead of importing drivers of questionable quality. I've seen
wlags49 before and it's not great. Right now we don't have any viable
Orinoco USB driver, and while linux-wlan-ng was proposed, there's no way
we're taking a third 802.11 "stack" or the bits in those drivers that
overlap with existing drivers' hardware support.

Dan