[bug report] sched: stop_machine() usage causes load balancer tomisbehave

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Oct 02 2008 - 19:57:42 EST

I mentioned before that ftrace (specifically the ftraced daemon) seems to be interfering with the load balancer. After some experimenting, it appears that any regular calls to stop_machine() will end up confusing the load balancer.

As an experiment, I disabled ftraced (which would normally result in correct load balancing) but added a single kernel thread which simply runs the following loop, where "chrisd2" is a dummy function.

while(1) {
set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE);
schedule_timeout(HZ);
stop_machine(chrisd2, NULL, NULL);
}

With the modified kernel, my testcase shows that the load balancer doesn't balance--all tasks remain on one cpu while the other one stays idle.

Most of the users of stop_machine() (kprobes on s390, cpu hotplug, module load/unload, numa_zonelist_order, etc.) don't seem to be called on a regular basis. Only ftrace behaves this way, which is why it appeared to be the source of the problem.

I haven't tracked down the specific reasons for the misbehaviour, but it seems undesirable.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Is it a problem with the load balancer, or an unavoidable consequence of what stop_machine() is doing?

Thanks,

Chris