Re: ath9k: panic on tip/master

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Oct 03 2008 - 06:02:43 EST

* Steven Noonan <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Just got a panic on tip. According to the stack trace, ath9k is what
> decided to bomb.
>
> http://www.uplinklabs.net/~tycho/linux/ath9k_panic_tip_10.3.2008.jpg
>
> Note: Although it says 'sudo modprobe radeon' on the bash prompt above
> the panic, I never got to hit 'enter' on that command before the panic
> occurred.

it appears to me that ath9k's eth_rx_input() takes a spinlock that is
not initialized (or already destroyed by the allocator).

this would be consistent with an IRQ storm hitting some race in the
ath9k driver init sequence. For example if request_irq() is done before
all structures that the IRQ handler relies on are properly initialized.

i.e. this has the signature of a genuine ath9k bug.

Ingo