Re: char/tpm: tpm_infineon no longer loaded for HP 2510p laptop

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Sat Oct 04 2008 - 12:28:06 EST

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday 04 October 2008 6:09:38 am Kay Sievers wrote:

>> > I'm finally looking at this again; sorry for the long hiatus. I'm
>> > working on a patch to add PNP uevent support, modalias sysfs files
>> > for PNP, and file2alias.c changes to match, and I just want to
>> > make sure I'm understanding this correctly.
>>
>> Sounds good, just in mind, that there are custom modprobe configs out
>> there, that rely on the current pnp alias format, like:
>> alias pnp:dPNP0510 irtty-sir
>> alias pnp:dPNP0511 irtty-sir
>> alias pnp:dPNP0700 floppy
>> alias pnp:dPNP0303 atkbd
>> alias pnp:dPNP0f13 psmouse
>> We should make sure, that this still works, which wouldn't if we just
>> do the acpi style aliases.
>
> My thought is to make PNP emit uevents with modaliases like
> "MODALIAS=pnp:PNP0501:PNP0500:" and make file2alias generate
> aliases like "alias pnp*:PNP0500:* 8250_pnp".

Looks good, and it is how they should look like. The current pnp
aliases are totally broken and useless for any usual modalias
matching.

> Modprobe configs like "alias pnp:dPNP0510 irtty-sir" would
> still work but would continue to depend on the udev shell hack.

The way the current shell hack is done, is that it gets disabled
automatically at the moment pnp events carry $MODALIAS.

> I don't have any plan for actually removing the hacks or doing
> any user-space transition.

Hmm, I guess there is no way around that. :)

Thanks,
Kay