Re: [RFC] CPUID usage for interaction between Hypervisors and Linux.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Oct 07 2008 - 19:50:00 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

The big difference here is that you could create a VM at runtime (by combining the existing interfaces) that did not exist before (or was not tested before). For example, a hypervisor could show hyper-v, osx-v (if any), linux-v, etc., and a guest could create a VM with hyper-v MMU, osx-v interrupt handling, Linux-v timer, etc. And such combinations/variations can grow exponentially.

That would be crazy.

Not necessarily, although the example above is extreme. Redundant interfaces is the norm in an evolving platform.

Or are you suggesting that multiple interfaces be _available_ to guests at runtime but the guest chooses one of them?

Right, that's what I've been suggesting. I think hypervisors should be able to offer multiple ABIs to guests, but a guest has to commit to using one exclusively (ie, once they start to use one then the others turn themselves off, kill the domain, etc).

Not inherently. Of course, there may be interfaces which are interently or by policy mutually exclusive, but a hypervisor should only export the interfaces it wants a guest to be able to use.

This is particularly so with CPUID, which is a *data export* interface, it doesn't perform any action.

-hpa