Re: RFC - size tool for kernel build system

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Fri Oct 10 2008 - 05:42:48 EST

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Tim Bird wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > The building blocks that would be useful are IMHO:
> > - a make target that generates a report for one kernel
> > (like the checkstack or export_report targets)
> > - a script that compares two such reports and outputs the
> > size differences
> >
> > That's also easy to do, and if that's what's wanted I can send a patch
> > that does it.
>
> I took a stab at this with the attached two scripts. These are
> not quite ready for prime time, but show the basic idea.
> I only have a partial list of subsystems, and am skipping the
> runtime data collection, for now.
>
> I have only made the scripts, not any make targets for them.

Seems to work fine, after I hacked my $CROSS_COMPILE prefix into the hardcoded
nm launch.

Thanks!

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre Europe
The Corporate Village  Da Vincilaan 7-D1  B-1935 Zaventem  Belgium

Phone: +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax: +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail: Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 Â RPR Brussels
Fortis  BIC GEBABEBB  IBAN BE41293037680010