Re: Help text for config OPTIMIZE_INLINING

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Oct 11 2008 - 10:37:18 EST

* Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The main help text for the OPTIMIZE_INLINING kconfig option says: "The
> gcc 4.x series have a rewritten inlining algorithm and disabling this
> option will generate a smaller kernel there."
>
> That suggests that to generate a smaller kernel one should set the
> option to n. However the short text says: "Allow gcc to uninline
> functions marked 'inline'"
>
> While suggests that one should set it to y to generate smaller
> kernels. My own experience says that setting it to y DOES generate a
> smaller kernel so perhaps the main text should be changed to reflect
> this?

sure, could you send a patch (with lkml Cc:-ed) that does this?

Also, would be nice if you sent with/without vmlinux size numbers for
the config you are using. Btw., do you have
CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y enabled as well? That too shrinks the
kernel (which speeds it up as well on moder CPUs), quite visibly.

Ingo