Re: 2.6.27 seems to break something with DSL

From: Philip Stark
Date: Sat Oct 11 2008 - 11:35:44 EST

2008/10/11 Grant Coady <grant_lkml@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 14:53:16 +0200, "Philip Stark" <heller.barde@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>first off, my network infrastructure:
>>
>>"internet" --(magic*)-- DSL Modem --(DHCP)-- Router --(DHCP)-- Computer
>>* PPPsomething i guess...
>
> Well I connect via rp-pppoe to a bridged ADSL modem.

My modem deals with all the ppp stuff and just gives out plain
LAN/ethernet/however it is called.

One recent gotcha
> is that iptables userspace has to be updated to match the latest kernel,
> how old is your distro? What version iptables? Last I checked 1.4.1.1
> was latest available from netfilter.org.

iptables: 1.4.0
distro: archlinux (rolling release) with testing repo enabled

by the way, i forgot to mention that internet works fine anywhere else
and also i can connect to a http server _inside_ my network :)

>>but i can't browse. that is when i 'wget kernel.org' it resolves the
>>address into the correct IP and then goes on to 'connecting' just to
>>grind to a complete halt. after some time of course it times out.
>
> This could be due to your firewall rules? More people would have
> noticed if their networking died ;) (Unless you're running a e1000, all
> bets off).

actually one laptop is running a e1000e... but as said, its also with
wireless...

Philip Stark