Re: section mismatch with a platform driver

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef
Date: Mon Oct 13 2008 - 06:16:48 EST

Neshama Parhoti wrote:

Hi Adrian and thank you for the help!

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:19:05AM +0200, Neshama Parhoti wrote:
WARNING: vmlinux.o(.data+0x44bc4): Section mismatch: reference to
.init.text:my_probe_func (between 'my_platform_struct' and
'debug_level_variable')

If I understand correctly, it shouts about my probe function being
referenced from the data section:

static struct platform_driver my_platform_struct = {
.probe = my_probe_func,
.remove = my_remove,
.suspend = my_suspend,
.resume = my_resume,
.driver = {
.name = DRIVER_NAME,
},
};

It complains about "my_probe_func", and that's not even in the code
you posted.

It happens even if I use an empty function like this:

static int __init my_probe_func(struct platform_device *pdev)
{
return 0;
}

any idea what's the problem ?
That __init macro marks the probe function as "throw after init" - it tells the compiler to put this function in a separate ELF section that the kernel automatically frees when module init is done, but you are referencing this function in a structure that is not marked as "throw after init".

Can't be sure without seeing the whole picture, but the most probable solution is to drop that __init from the probe function. It's seems wrong as in theory the probe function can be called at any time in the life of the kernel, not just in this module init, even if in practice this will never happen, as I suspect is the case with such a platform driver.

Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef Chief Coffee Drinker

Codefidence Ltd.
The code is free, your time isn't.(TM)

Web: http://codefidence.com
Email: gilad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Office: +972-8-9316883 ext. 201
Fax: +972-8-9316885
Mobile: +972-52-8260388

The Doctor: Don't worry, Reinette, just a nightmare. Everyone has nightmares. Even monsters from under the bed have nightmares, don't you, monster?
Reinette: What do monsters have nightmares about?
The Doctor: Me!