Re: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu Oct 16 2008 - 11:18:23 EST

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Greg KH wrote:
> You brought this topic up a few months ago, and passed it off as
> something we would discuss at the kernel summit. But that never
> happened, so I figured I'd bring it up again here.
>
> So, as someone who constantly is dealing with kernel version numbers all
> the time with the -stable trees, our current numbering scheme is a pain
> a times. How about this proposal instead?

> Any thoughts?
>
> Let the bike-shedding begin!

What about just using the git SHA1?

Advantages:
- We're all getting older. Training our memory to remember SHA1 IDs is
actually good for us!
- Perhaps Google will finally start tracking git commits, so I can
feed them a git commit ID mentioned in a random email and find the
actual commit, without having to know to which repository it
belongs?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds