Re: bttv: video grabbing via v4l1 does not work since 2.6.25

From: Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe
Date: Thu Oct 16 2008 - 15:31:40 EST

Hello again,

even though I doubt somebody cares, I tried to collect some more
information in the vague hope to get previously working features back,
maybe in two years or three...

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 01:16:54PM +0200, Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe wrote:
> with 2.6.25 bttv video grabbing via vlc stopped working.
> vlc is stable version 0.8.6.h which uses v4l(1) interface only.
> Up to 2.6.24 everything was working well.

With the release of vlc 0.9 I can confirm that grabbing over V4L2 works,
V4L, of course, is still broken.

> Please also note the changed vlc device recognition from "1 audios" to
> "0 audios" in .26.

The reason for this is probably that the volume control disappeared
(which was there and working in .24, of course). mute, balance, bass and
trebble controls are still there and working in .26 and to some extent
the driver seems to have some knowledge about a "volume" as well, as
v4l2-dbg --log-status shows. And some applications are somehow able to
set it to 0 from time to time - re-adjusting it is quite hard without
the volume control mentioned above.

Mario
--
Doing it right is no excuse for not meeting the schedule.
-- Plant Manager, Delphi Corporation