Re: [patch] gpiolib: fix oops in gpio_get_value_cansleep()

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Oct 16 2008 - 20:56:01 EST

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:44:33 -0700 David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday 16 October 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > From: David Brownell <dbrownell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > >
> > > We can get the following oops from gpio_get_value_cansleep()
> > > when a GPIO controller doesn't provide a get() callback:
> >
> > We can, but do we? ;)
>
> I think it's unlikely without the sysfs interface.
>

> > iow: is this needed in any -stable release?
>
> The bug has been there since 2.6.25 but nobody else seems
> to have reported it. Is the general policy to fix all
> oopses that *could* appear? I'd send it for 2.6.27-stable,
> since that's got the sysfs hooks. And older kernels if
> bug likelihood isn't a major concern.

OK. 2.6.27 definitely (major distros are basing on that).

As for earlier kernels: I'd say so. An oops is farily serious.
Although an oops in a sysfs handler tends to be fairly tame, as the
code usually doesn't hold locks or many allocated resources.

Anyway - making decisions like this is why we pay stable@xxxxxxxxxx the
big bucks :)