Re: unlink behavior when file is open by other process

From: Steve French
Date: Fri Oct 17 2008 - 11:24:44 EST

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Even when a file is open by another process, posix allows the file to
> be deleted (the file is removed from the namespace and eventually the
> data is removed from disk). Unfortunately due to problems in some
> NAS filers/servers this can be hard to implement, and I am not sure
> what the "best" behavior is in that case. Currently when unlink
> fails with the cifs network status codes equivalent to ETXTBUSY, cifs
> retries unlink by first renaming the file (ala nfs's "silly rename")
> by file handle and then marking the file attribute as "delete on
> close" (which will cause the server to unlink the file when the last
> opener closes the file). This is similar to the behavior required by
> posix (although, like in nfs, the silly renamed file is temporarily
> visible in the namespace, can't be reopened by anyone else).
>
> Jeff Layton included a behavior change within a patch to fix another
> problem with NTCreateX flags
> (http://git.samba.org/?p=jlayton/cifs.git;a=commitdiff;h=f0c39587b7111deb13e56e5a521c5f3d8278cf5e)
> that I just merged that will break this (delete of open files) to at
> least one popular filer because that filer does not support rename by
> handle (rename of open file is one of the SMB transact2 levels, and
> one that most servers support). His patch would give up in
> cifs_unlink if we can't "silly-rename" the file. I have mixed
> feelings about this since with current code we can delete the file
> (mark the file delete on close) but we can't rename it (we could hide
> it in the namespace but it obviously can't be completely transparent
> because you can't create a file of the same name).
>
> Is it better to fail unlink if the file can't be removed from the
> namespace immediately or better to allow unlink (but then some
> applications will get an access denied on open if they try to create a
> file of the same name before the original opener closes the file)?

The two particular examples:
1) An application that does:
open, unlink, close, create
used to always work but now would fail unless the server/filer has
rename-by-handle support

2) An application that does:
open, unlink, create
used to fail (with access denied on create) when the server did not have
rename-by-handle support but now (with Jeff's patch sideeffect) will
fail on unlink.

--
Thanks,

Steve