Re: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 01:29:33 EST

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

We *really* don't want 2008.3-rc4 to be followed by 2009.1-rc5.
That is the kind of stuff that make script makers want to strangle
developers alive with their own intestines.

+1

Not that I care one way or the other. It's just that I don't see how
your response bears any relationship with the point Greg made. It's
just a distraction. We're talking about how to label releases, not
about guessing the release date of a kernel months ahead. One you
label it, it stays that way.

Uhm, so what happens when a release starts with an -rc stage intended for 2008 release, and then comes out in 2009? You either have to leave it at 2008, which would be confusing (I think this is what M$ did in at least one case), or you have to have an in-release-cycle change.

Plus, of course, it makes it hard to talk about future releases.

-hpa