call_usermodehelper_exec() hangs in call to queue_work()

From: Timur Tabi
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 18:23:13 EST

I'm updating my driver to use kobjects so that I can call uevents.
I've never used any of these calls before, so I'm sure I'm doing
something stupid, but I need help.

I'm creating one kset and three kobjects. I call kobject_uevent after
calling kobject_init_and_add(). The second time I call
kobject_uevent(), the kernel hangs when call_usermodehelper_exec()
calls queue_work(). I haven't been able to trace the code past that
yet.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm hoping this is a
common problem.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale