Re: IPv6 multicast forwarding

From: Pekka Savola
Date: Fri Oct 24 2008 - 06:12:50 EST

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Alejandro Riveira FernÃndez wrote:
Let me apologize in advance for the length of this message - it is long!

I'm trying to test out IPv6 multicast forwarding on a 2.6.26 kernel
and I'm getting some strange values for the upcall messages from the
kernel. My code is below, but to give an overview, my setup is as
follows:

sender ------ ff15::1 -----> [eth1] linux 2.6.26 [eth0] ------> ...

Maybe this isn't the bug you're looking for but you shouldn't be using ff1x multicast addresses in a test like this; ff1x means that the multicast group is of "interface-local scope" and it isn't useful for multicast forwarding. So the kernel might be correct in not installing multicast forwarding state for a group address like this (but if it's a conscious decision, maybe the failure mode should be better). See S 2.7 of RFC4291.

--
Pekka Savola "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy kingdom bleeds."