Re: Linux 2.6.28-rc1

From: Alexey Dobriyan
Date: Fri Oct 24 2008 - 09:10:36 EST

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 01:52:45PM +0100, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> On Friday 24 October 2008 12:45:04 Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems if you have a broken asm/ symlink in include/ (which happened as
> > > a result of the x86 header moves, for me) the kernel won't try to update
> > > it appropriately, and this breaks "make prepare".
> > >
> > > $ make ARCH=x86_64 prepare
> > > CHK include/linux/version.h
> > > CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
> > > GEN include/asm/asm-offsets.h
> > > /bin/sh: include/asm/asm-offsets.h: No such file or directory
> > > make[1]: *** [include/asm/asm-offsets.h] Error 1
> > > make: *** [prepare0] Error 2
> > >
> > > rm -f include/asm fixes it
> > >
> > > This was just from taking a 2.6.27 tree, git clean -d -f, git pull, make
> > > oldconfig. Might be a nice thing to fix?
> >
> > Hm, I didn't have any problems with compiling .28-rc1 on x86_64.
> >
> > [Confused.]
>
> This should reproduce it (whether or not it's a use-case we care about is
> another matter). First, make sure your include/asm symlink has been removed,
> then execute the following sequence:
>
> git reset --hard v2.6.27 ; git clean -d -f
> git status ("Nothing to commit")
>
> cp /path/to/config .config
> make oldconfig prepare
> git clean -d -f ; git reset --hard
> git status ("Nothing to commit")
>
> Observe at this point that include/asm is valid and points to include/asm-x86,
> despite the clean and reset (I guess this file is being ignored). Now:
>
> git reset --hard v2.6.28-rc1 (Or whatever other method you might choose)
> git clean -d -f (Removes include/asm-x86)
>
> Observe at this point that include/asm is now invalid, and still points to the
> removed include/asm-x86 directory.
>
> cp /path/to/config .config
> make oldconfig prepare
>
> Should fail at this point:
>
> scripts/kconfig/conf -o arch/x86/Kconfig
> #
> # configuration written to .config
> #
> scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
> CHK include/linux/version.h
> UPD include/linux/version.h
> CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
> UPD include/linux/utsrelease.h
> CC kernel/bounds.s
> GEN include/linux/bounds.h
> CC arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.s
> GEN include/asm/asm-offsets.h
> /bin/sh: include/asm/asm-offsets.h: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [include/asm/asm-offsets.h] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [prepare0] Error 2
> make: *** [prepare] Error 2
>
> Can you confirm?
>
> I checked out Makefile and I believe it occurs because the current checks only
> make sure a symlink exists, and if it does exist that its target matches up
> with the selected architecture. It doesn't actually check the destination of
> the symlink is valid.
>
> I'd suggest that it should do that too, and if the destination doesn't exist,
> re-write the symlink when it does "mkdir include/asm-x86" further down, but
> I'm not a kbuild expert.

Use this script for super-clean project-agnostic clean:

$ cat ~/bin/git-mrproper
#!/bin/sh
git-ls-files -o --directory -z | xargs -0 rm -rf

I'd say nothing should be done here, include/asm symlink autochange
because of different ARCH was unsupported due to it being "big" event, and
headers move is equally "big" event.