Re: Bloatwatch 2.6.28-rc1: i8042 DMI lookup tables

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Fri Oct 24 2008 - 18:15:54 EST

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Matt Mackall wrote:

> We've added 12k of new initdata to allnoconfig builds for i8042 DMI
> lookup tables:
>
> http://www.selenic.com/bloatwatch/?cmd=compare;v1=2.6.27;v2=2.6.28-rc1;part=/built-in/drivers
>
> It looks like each table entry is > 320 bytes as we reserve four 80-byte
> slots in each for DMI match strings.

Umm, and what is the actual problem with that, really?

OK, we can remove it from .init, but then it will be rotting in memory
forever, which is quite sub-optimal, when this kind of DMI information is
needed only during initialization.

We can make ->ident strings shorter, they do not serve any real purpose,
and are there just for readability. Is it worth that?

We can make a config option which will guard existence of these lists,
such as CONFIG_INPUT_BLACKLISTS, let id default to y and depend on
EMBEDDED.

Any other reasonable ideas?

--
Jiri Kosina