Re: Linux 2.6.28-rc1

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Fri Oct 24 2008 - 18:52:36 EST

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 03:31:39PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:17:53 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > Now, _another_ part (and arguably the really core reason) of this problem
> > is that our Makefile rules for the asm include directory is weak and
> > unreliable in the presense of already-existing unexpected entries.
>
> I guess we could use seperate "stamp" files to deal with this.
>
> Along with the generated file "foo" there is a "foo.stamp" file
> that is generated with "touch" after "foo" is built.

I remember I made an attempt doing so long time ago for
the asm symlink. But why it failed for me I dunno.

We used this trick in many archs before
but as part of the header move to arch/$ARCH we have killed
almost all uses of symlink to reach certain files.

The asm symlink is only used by asm-offsett.h for most archs these
days and when I get around to it I will fix that too so we
can kill it entirely.

But first we need to move all archs headers to arch/$ARCH.
And we are getting there.

Sam