PAT and MTRRs

From: Diego M. Vadell
Date: Sun Oct 26 2008 - 20:06:07 EST

Hello,

I have 6 identical PCs (HPC cluster) with MTRR problems. In older kernels,
I had to use "mem=3300M", or else, I would get a very slowly boot (as when
you run out of MTRRs).

So I thought that PAT would make this lack of MTRRs problem go away, and
upgraded to 2.6.26.6 and 2.6.27.2, but it didn't: I still get (from dmesg)

x86 PAT enabled: cpu 0, old 0x7040600070406, new 0x7010600070106
WARNING: BIOS bug: CPU MTRRs don't cover all of memory, losing 704MB of RAM.

Most probably, I understood wrong. I read lwn.net's article [1] about PAT
several times, Documentation/x86/pat.txt , tried to use mtrr_chunk_size= and
mtrr_gran_size= in various combinations (as discussed in this LKML thread
[2]), but I still don't get it.

So, what did I miss? Am I wrong thinking that PAT is a better MTRR (wrt
setting the cache type of the RAM)?

Thanks in advance,
-- Diego.

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/282250/
"The PAT bits are more flexible and, since they live in the page table
entries, they are difficult to run out of. They are also completely under the
control of the operating system instead of the BIOS."

[2] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/29/181