Re: High load in 2.6.27, NFS / rpcauth_lookup_credcache()?

From: Max Kellermann
Date: Mon Oct 27 2008 - 05:58:56 EST

On 2008/10/24 20:09, Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK, could you please describe your environment a bit. Do you have lots
> of different users logged in at the same time, or do you perhaps use
> newgrp or su to switch uid/gids a lot on your processes?
> I'm trying to see if there might be a reason for the lookup in the
> credcache being such a heavy duty operation in your setup.

It's a web server for shared hosting. The web space is mounted via
NFSv3 from a NetApp. There is a huge number of web sites on this
cluster. All web sites are owned by the same UID, and the web server
runs as a different UID (read-only access).

Each time a CGI starts, its uid is changed to the one "owner" UID
(similar to mod_suexec, but there's only one UID for all customer
accounts). Each time a CGI starts, its chroot (pivot_root) is
constructed with several bind mounts (in a separate namespace with
CLONE_NEWNS).

There are no new users or groups being created. There are only 2 UIDs
accessing NFS: the webserver (ro) and CGI (rw).

Max