Re: leds-hp-disk vs lis3lv02d

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Mon Oct 27 2008 - 08:58:39 EST

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 13:45, Thomas Renninger <trenn@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sunday 26 October 2008 18:40:25 Pavel Machek wrote:

>> > How can I tell to ACPI that it should load both drivers for the same PNP
>> > ID match?
>>
>> I'll take a look if I can figure something out...
> Kay may know whether this should work and how.
> IMO having several drivers registering for the same HID should get avoided if
> possible, it's confusing.

There is currently no driver core support to bind two "struct device"
to one parent "struct device" from different drivers.

You can work around that by creating a custom "struct bus_type",
create the several function devices there, and let them bind different
drivers. This is what matches a lot of hardware like custom devices
all hiding behind a single PCI device.

Or the code for the two functions must live in the same driver, and
create class devices, so it looks to the core like a single binding.

There is ongoing work in the driver core to allow
multi-driver-binding, but it's not ready to use today.

Kay