Re: [tbench regression fixes]: digging out smelly deadmen.

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Mon Oct 27 2008 - 15:11:53 EST

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 10:26 -0700, Rick Jones wrote:
> Mike Galbraith wrote:
> > That's exactly what I've been trying to look into, but combined with
> > netperf. The thing is an incredibly twisted maze of _this_ affects
> > _that_... sometimes involving magic and/or mythical creatures.
>
> I cannot guarantee it will help, but the global -T option to pin netperf
> or netserver to a specific CPU might help cut-down the variables.

Yup, and how. Early on, the other variables drove me bat-shit frigging
_nuts_. I eventually selected a UP config to test _because_ those other
variables combined with SMP overhead and config options drove crazy ;-)

> FWIW netperf top of trunk omni tests can now also determine and report
> the state of SELinux. They also have code to accept or generate their
> own RFC4122-esque UUID. Define some connical tests and then ever closer
> to just needing some database-fu and automagic testing I suppose...
> things I do not presently posess but am curious enough to follow some
> pointers.

Hrm. I'm going to have to save that, and parse a few times. (usual)

> happy benchmarking,

Not really, but I can't seem to give up ;-)

-Mike