Re: On spreading atomic_t initialization

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Tue Oct 28 2008 - 11:55:15 EST

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 06:29:43PM +0300, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> I wrote stupid runtime checker to look for atomic_t uninitialized usage
> and the amount of screaming in logs is surprisingly very big.
>
> So the question: is there really really an arch for which setting atomic_t
> by hand (kzalloc) is not equivalent to atomic_set()?

No. atomic_t is 32-bit, and requires all 32 bits to be usable by the
callers. It's kind of like NULL might not theoretically be represented
by a bit-pattern of all zeroes. In practise, it always is. I don't
see the value in your checker, sorry.

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."