Re: [2.6.28-rc2]: iwl4965 doesn't connect / cfg80211 failure

From: Mirco Tischler
Date: Tue Oct 28 2008 - 19:36:14 EST

In between I found out that suspend and hibernation are broken too. I would
open a new thread but in the "Suspend to RAM regression in 2.6.28-rc2
(bisected)" thread that handled a similar problem iwlwifi was blamed, at least
in the mails I read. So maybe this is related here too.

The machine suspends and hibernates fine, but doesn't wake up anymore correctly.
On hibernation I end up with a black screen and only the mouse which I can
still move. But anything else is locked up. I can't switch to virtual console
with ctrl+alt+f? nor can I restart the xserver. I can't even connect on
network. The only thing I can do is move the mouse on a black screen or push
the power button.

On suspend it is a little better. After wakeup I see the frames of the windows
but not the content, and the gnome panel. And again I can move the mouse but I
can't interact with anything. At least I can connect over network using ssh.
But processes like compiz don't respond to kill -9 PID and when I try to kill
Xorg the machine completely locks up.

Another thing that I just noticed is very slow boot. From startup of udev until
short before X starts the boot lasts minutes. What I noticed is that there are
long phases of no hard disk activity. And I don't really have the heart to
write this but I have the impression that keyboard activity (i.e. pressing
random keys) causes the harddisk to read again and the hole boot to go on.

Sorry for this long subjective description of symptoms only without any
kernel messages or anything but that's all I can deliver at the moment. Maybe
tomorrow I find more than only half an hour to dig into this.

Thanks again

Mirco