Re: Timeout regression introduced by 242f9dcb8ba6f68fcd217a119a7648a4f69290e9

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Wed Oct 29 2008 - 20:32:36 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28 2008, Tejun Heo wrote:
>> Mike Anderson wrote:

>>> I was trying to recreate this error using ata_ram wth v2.6.28-rc2.
>>> Currently I am not able to see this error on timeout recovery using this
>>> setup. Does IO load (or other factors) effect the error being seen?
>> Not at all. That's the only write command I issued.
>
> It's all extremely puzzling. Any chance I could talk you into stuffing
> some debug printks in there to see what the hell is going on?

I got it pinned down. I'll post the fix after some more testing but it
looks like we'll need more extensive change to get it clean. The
problem is when the command is passed to driver - at elv_next_request()
or blkdev_dequeue_request(). SCSI thinks it's blkdev_dequeue_request(),
block layer thinks it's elv_next_request() for some purposes while
blkdev_dequeue_request() for others. I really think we should change
the interface to something like blk_peek_request() and
blk_fetch_request() and don't allow finishing a request which are not
fetched.

Thanks.

--
tejun