network weirdness

From: Mihai DonÈu
Date: Thu Oct 30 2008 - 12:10:10 EST

Hi,

I'm sometimes faced with a problem, regarding the network, that I am unable to
reproduce (too easy). Today for example, when I got to work, I was unable to
do a remote desktop on one of the machines in the same network as me. I kept
getting a "recv() : connection reset by peer" message each time I tried to
connect. I was, however, able to talk to every other machine, local or from
the Internet, except this one. I could also do to a "ssh -X" on another
computer and then "rdesktop -g 1024x768 winhost" from there. Nothing
directly, however. After playing with my network interface for a while and
rebooting the windows machine, I finally gave up and rebooted mine. The
problem went away.

Has anyone else came across this before?

$ uname -a
Linux mdontu-dell 2.6.27.2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Oct 19 13:34:08 EEST 2008 x86_64
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Almost forgot: I was able to ping the machine, so I assume it's something
related to TCP/IP.

--
Mihai DonÈu