Re: [patch] generic-ipi: fix the smp_mb() placement

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Fri Oct 31 2008 - 07:12:48 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Suresh Siddha wrote:
We didn't see the lockup in our tests but Xen folks reported similar failures
with their smp call function code.
...really? I don't remember anything like that, but perhaps I'm forgetting something. In Xen the IPI is sent with a hypercall, which is definitely a solid enough barrier for these purposes.

i think Suresh might be referring to some of the fragilities Xen had with generic-ipi. But those AFAICT were due to the on-stack lifetime bug that Nick fixed via the kmalloc? v2.6.26-ish issue.

Right, that's all I could think of.