Re: sched domains oddness.

From: Suresh Siddha
Date: Fri Oct 31 2008 - 13:09:43 EST

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:51:51AM -0700, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 12:24 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> > The attached dmesg comes from my dual core laptop running 2.6.27
> > What's up with all the sched domains transitions at the bottom?
> > This was just a boot up from power off, no suspend/resume or anything funky.
>
> > CPU0 attaching NULL sched-domain.
> > CPU1 attaching NULL sched-domain.
> > CPU0 attaching sched-domain:
> > domain 0: span 0-1 level MC
> > groups: 0 1
> > domain 1: span 0-1 level NODE
> > groups: 0-1
> > CPU1 attaching sched-domain:
> > domain 0: span 0-1 level MC
> > groups: 1 0
> > domain 1: span 0-1 level NODE
> > groups: 0-1
>
> 3x
>
> looks like someone is triggering rebuild_sched_domains(), is something
> poking cpusetfs files or flipping between sched_mc settings?

I remember someone mentioning that some distro's started setting
sched_mc_power_savings to '1' by default during boot. On a dual-core
laptop, this will not give any advantage.

I have to fix the code to not export this tunable, when we have only
socket in the system.

Dave, Is your distro also setting this tunable blindly during boot :(

thanks,
suresh