Re: PROBLEM: ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) on partition

From: Mark Lord
Date: Sat Nov 01 2008 - 09:40:31 EST

Sarangi_Santosh@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
I am into a problem where the ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) if failing on a device
partition(ex: /dev/emcpowerg1), which is working fine for full device (
ex: /dev/emcpowerg).
Basically I am trying to get start offset of the device partition
(hd_geometry.start).
The host information where I am seeing the above problem is as follows:

Linux ampersandmex01 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:48:18 EDT
2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1 (Tikanga)

Can anyone suggest if there is any patch available, so that the problem
can be resolved ?
If the patch is not available, then is there any other way, I can get
the above information without using the ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) ?

I am pasting the code snip set below for your reference.

Thanks,
-Santosh

<code snip>
int fd;
int sts;
struct hd_geometry hd_geometry_rec;
unsigned int offset;

if ((fd = open(p_ppdevname, O_RDONLY | O_NONBLOCK)) < 0)
{
return OS_SYSTEM_CALL_FAILED;
}
if ((sts = ioctl(fd, HDIO_GETGEO, &hd_geometry_rec)) < 0) ------->
ioctl((HDIO_GETGEO) is failing for device partition (/dev/emcpowerg1)
{
close(fd);
return OS_SYSTEM_CALL_FAILED;
}
offset = (unsigned int) hd_geometry_rec.start;
..

The code should try HDIO_GETGEO_BIG before falling back to HDIO_GETGEO.
But neither will work for LARGE drives (>= 2TB) on 32-bit systems,
so the code really should try sysfs for this info before using the ioctls.

Sample code to do this correctly is in the geom.c file of recent hdparm
source code packages from sourceforge.

Cheers