Re: Can you use the USB HID interface within a driver?

From: Adam Nielsen
Date: Sat Nov 01 2008 - 19:20:30 EST

For 2.6.28, the HID code has been completely refactored, and converted into a proper bus, making it possible to write driver easily in a way that the driver implements only parts where device deviates from the HID standard, and lets the rest to be handled by generic code. I guess this is what you are looking for?

Yes, that sounds like exactly what I'm after! This device seems to be HID with a custom protocol over the top, so presumably I can let the HID driver handle all the USB initialisation and just focus on the protocol.

Please look at drivers/hid in 2.6.28-rc1 or newer. There are quite a couple of drivers already using this new infrastructure.

Great, I'll have a look now - thanks!

If you have any further questions, I'll be happy to help you, but I will be completely offline until 11th November, sorry.

Thanks for that! I'll see how I go. If there are existing drivers I can use as examples, hopefully I should be okay for the most part.

Cheers,
Adam.