Re: usb device not showing up

From: Norbert Preining
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 11:17:24 EST

On Di, 04 Nov 2008, Alan Stern wrote:
> > - First booting Vista, then RE-booting (not turning it off in the
> > meantime) into linux gives me that device and everything works.
>
> By "it", did you mean the laptop or the modem?

I meant:
- first booting vista, then re-booting ... the device shows up (and is
functional)

- booting from off state the device does not show up and cannot be
switched on using /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/wwanpower
(although the behaviour that it can be switched on using the above
sysfs file is documented)

> No. I'm interested in seeing the usbmon output for when the modem is
> first detected by the USB subsystem. During a normal boot this will
> happen before you can start usbmon.
>
> If you can't boot with the modem off, then try this instead: Unload
> ehci-hcd, uhci-hcd, and ohci-hcd, then start up usbmon (copy the 0u
> file) and reload whichever driver the modem attaches to.

Ok, I will recompile my kernel with USB as modules and do the above. Is
there a way to tell the kernel not to load any device drivers/modules
(probably overriding modprobe in some way)?

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx> Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@xxxxxxxxxx> Debian TeX Group